facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
5 Things to Double-Check When Doing Your Taxes Thumbnail

5 Things to Double-Check When Doing Your Taxes


Tax Preparers have a standard answer when someone asks a question about their taxes that they're completing on TurboTax..."Ask the Box". The Box probably won't answer your question. You should probably check a few things that might need to be adjusted from the output the software provides you, too. You also might want to ask your tax preparer about some of these (if you have one). Here are a few:

  • Should you itemize even when you "can't"? The standard deduction for a married couple is $24,400 and for a single taxpayer it is $12,200. You can elect to itemize even if your deductions are lower than this amount. And, you might want to. This is because some states require that you take the standard deduction on the state return if you take the standard deduction on your Federal return. A lot of states have standard deductions that are pretty low. For example in VA it is $9,000 for a married couple and $4,500 for a single taxpayer. So in some cases, your Federal taxes will go up less than your state taxes will go down if you itemize and are below the standard deduction
  • Deduct sales tax instead of income taxes as an itemized deduction. If you live in an area with high levels of property taxes they may come close to or even exceed the State And Local Tax (SALT) deduction limit of $10,000. If you're over the $10,000 SALT limit or close to it and sales tax will get you to or over the SALT limit, then use it. That way you won't have to declare state income tax refunds as income next year.
  • Don't forget allowances and VA Disability compensation. If you live in a state without income tax and deduct sales tax or if you're deducting sales tax for the reason above, you can include your tax free income when calculating the amount of your sales tax deduction.
  • Double check your state income tax refund. Depending on whether you deducted state income tax, your state income tax refund could be taxable. If the combination of the income tax deduction and property tax deduction exceed $10,000, then the amount of the state income tax that will be taxable will be reduced.
  • Check on your spouse's state of residency. Under a law passed at the end of 2018, military spouses can claim the same state of residence as the military member without ever actually residing in that state.

Tax laws are constantly changing and new rules and court cases change interpretation of the law are as well. For some reason, we like to keep up with those changes and we'll keep you informed.

This article was based off an article, written by Curt Sheldon, that originally appeared in Military Officer magazine.

If you found this article interesting, you like the following blog posts:

Retired Military Finances 101: State Income Tax

Military Finances 301: The Potential Tax Tripwire When You Refinance Your Mortgage

Military Finances 301: Mom (or Dad) Missed Her RMD. Now What?

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.