facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Delay Your Required Minimum Distributions...Legally Thumbnail

Delay Your Required Minimum Distributions...Legally

Retirement Funding TSP Taxes

Generally speaking, you must start taking distributions from  retirement accounts, with the notable exception of Roth IRAs not later  than April 1st of the year after you turn 70 1/2 (every time I say or  write that rule, I can only say to myself, "Congress..."). But  there is one way you can legally and without penalty delay Required  Minimum Distributions (RMD). The tax law states, in the case of qualified plans like 401(k)s and defined contribution  plans, that the Required Beginning Date (RBD) for distributions is the  later of 1 Apr of the year after you turn 70 1/2 or retire. Let me clarify that though, as this only applies to qualified plans at your current employer.  So let's peel this back a little more.  We'll start with some definitions and exclusions.

 Definitions and Exclusions.

  • Employment Status. The IRS has not taken a position on what  determines an employee. So in general, if your employer considers you  an employee, you are an employee. So you could work 5 hours a month and  still qualify for delaying the distribution.
  • Year of Retirement. If you  retire on ANY day during the year, you are retired. Even if you work on  the 31st of December and are retired at the end of business that day, you are retired in that year. Conversely, if you come in on the 1st of  January to complete paperwork (on the clock) you just delayed your RBD by 12 months.
  • Business Owners. If you are a 5% owner of the  company, you can't delay your RMDs. There are a couple of key points here. To be considered a 5% owner you must actually own more than 5% of the business. But, your ownership percentage also includes any portion  your spouse, children or parents own. And finally, the 5% rule appears to only apply to the year you turn 70 1/2....You do not need to retest  each year.

Planning Techniques

 If you are in a position where you want to or need to work past 70 1/2 and you don't want to take  RMDs, there are some things you can do. 

  • If you are an employee and you have IRAs or 401(k)s from previous employers, roll them into your 401(k) at your current employer  prior to the year you turn 70 1/2. This works with TSP too. Of course you would need to be a government employee
  • If you are a business owner and ultimately plan on selling your business, selling an amount to make you a less than 5% owner would allow you to delay RMDs. Just be careful about selling to family members. If your ownership increases later, that is o.k. If you've already sold a good portion of your business, this makes even more sense.
  • If you're an employee and you want to keep working in your field but at a reduced  level and part-time with your current employer isn't an option, there is a solution...although it is pretty aggressive. Stay with your current  employer until you're past the year you turn 70 1/2. As you're getting close to the time you want to cut back your hours, start a business. Set-up a 401(k) in your new business. Start working part-time there and  transfer your 401(k) funds from your current employer's 401(k) to your  new 401(k). Stop working at your current full-time job. Again, this is an aggressive play and you'll need to structure your new company correctly so that you are an employee, but it can be done. This is due to the fact that the 5% rule only applies to the year you turn 70 1/2.

Right now you may not think you'll want to keep working past 70 1/2 and that may hold true. You may also find that you need the 401(k)  funds for living if you're not working full-time. But, some of you may  find yourself in the position when you approach 70 1/2 where you do want to keep working and you don't need the money. If you do find yourself  in that situation, you can keep the IRS's hands off your money.

If you enjoyed this article, you might like the following blog posts:

The Times (and TSP) They are a Changin'

What Military Officers need to Know TSP and estate Planning

Don't Leave Money on the Table (And Don't Get Double Taxed Either)

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.