facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Military Finances 101: 8 Legal Documents Parents and College Students Should Sign Thumbnail

Military Finances 101: 8 Legal Documents Parents and College Students Should Sign

College Planning Estate Planning

Your child is getting ready to head to college. You're feeling lucky because you're paying for it with the GI Bill and feel like you have everything covered. You've made sure they have their textbooks and everything needed to furnish their dorm, but there are some legal documents that you should have in place as well. Many of these documents will be handy to have should a medical or other emergency occur and you need to make decisions on behalf of your college student.

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Waiver

Because your child is now a legal adult, you don’t have automatic access to information about them regarding their education. This includes access to information about their grades, academic records or disciplinary actions. Even if you’re paying your child’s tuition, the FERPA Waiver is needed to have access to any of their school records. Ask your child’s university to see if they have the forms on hand. If not, you can easily find a copy of this waiver online.

There are a few notable exceptions where a FERPA Waiver is not needed:1

  • Underage drinking: If the student is under 21 years of age and is in violation of any federal, state or local laws or college rules concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.
  • Medical emergency: If information needs to be communicated regarding an emergency health or safety situation, to protect either your student or other individuals.
  • Dependents: If you list your child as a dependent student on your Federal income tax return. There are some notable conditions, however; your child must be under 23 years of age, be unmarried, live with you for more than half of the tax year, and your child must not be supporting their own life by more than half.

Regardless of these exemptions, you may want to get a FERPA Waiver signed just to make sure your bases are covered.

Medical Documents and Authorizations

Medical documents and authorizations are easy to overlook when it comes to your child. They may still be your baby, but once they reach the age of 18 they’re considered an adult. Should your child have a medical emergency, having the necessary documents on hand will make sure you can focus on their care and recovery. 

HIPAA Authorization Form

This is one of the most important medical forms to have for your college student. A HIPAA authorization allows doctors and medical facilities to keep you updated regarding your child’s medical condition and health in the event of an emergency.

Medical Power of Attorney

A Medical Power of Attorney allows your child to designate someone (typically a parent or legal guardian) to make medical decisions for them should they become incapacitated. It’s recommended that your child choose a primary and secondary agent, just in case one of them isn’t available.

Durable Power of Attorney

A Durable Power of Attorney allows your child to designate someone (typically their parents or legal guardians) to handle their financial affairs should they become unable to. College students can also use this document to designate someone to handle their tax returns and other financial matters while they’re away at school.

Living Will

A living will allows your child to designate end-of-life care should they wind up in a persistent, vegetative state, unable to make their own medical decisions. It’s also vital for them to communicate these wishes to their family members so that everyone is on the same page.

Health Insurance

Most students are on their parents’ health insurance, but it’s important to confirm before they leave for college, especially if they’re attending school out-of-state or in another country.

Medical and Dental Appointments

It’s a good idea to make sure your child has any medical and dental appointments taken care of at least a month before they leave for college. Get copies of their prescriptions so they can fill them while they’re away, and make sure they have a copy of their medical records, especially if they have a chronic medical condition.

Coverage For Your Child’s Belongings

No one wants to think about dorms being vandalized or property being stolen, but it does happen. You’ll want to check your homeowners insurance policy to determine if your child’s belongings are covered while they are away at school. It’s especially important to make sure that their laptop or tablet is covered so they’re still able to do their schoolwork. If your child is living off-campus, they may need to obtain renter’s insurance.

It’s an adjustment to think of your college student as a legal adult. As your student heads off to college, having these important legal and medical documents on hand gives you peace of mind and allows you to focus on the school year ahead.

If you found this article useful, you might like the following blog posts:

GI Bill. 529 Funds. Which Should I Use First?

Military Finances 201: Do GI Bill Benefits Affect Financial Aid and the FAFSA?

Why Retiring Military Officers May Need to Cash US Savings Bonds Now

  1. https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html

This content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information, and provided by Twenty Over Ten. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.