facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Military Finances 101: Happy Birthday! Do You Know What Changed? Thumbnail

Military Finances 101: Happy Birthday! Do You Know What Changed?

Insights Taxes Tricare

Today is my brother's birthday. I won't say how old he is (he's not 86), but he is older than me. That got me thinking. There are a lot of things related to finances that change on birthdays. Here is a list:

  • 13 - Child Care Credit. You can only claim the credit for a child who was under 13 when you paid for the care.
  • 16 - Insurance. Junior just got his Driver's License. Have you added him to your auto insurance?
  • 17 - Child Tax Credit. When your child turns 17 you lose the child tax credit for the year
  • 18 - FICA. If Junior and his sister work for you as employees, you now have to start withholding and paying Social Security and Medicare Taxes.
  • 18 - Estate PlanningJunior is an adult now (I know, he really isn't) in the eyes of the law. You might want to put some documents in place so that you can make medical decisions for him and have access to his medical records in case of an emergency.
  • 18 - Coverdell ESA. You can no longer contribute to an ESA once the beneficiary turns 18.
  • 19 - Dependent. When Junior turns 19, he is no longer a dependent unless he is a full-time student
  • 19 - Kiddie Tax. If not a dependent full-time student, Junior is no longer subject to the Kiddie Tax
  • 21 - FUTA. If your kids work for you, you now need to start paying Federal Unemployment Tax
  • 24 - DependentJunior may or may not be a dependent. Junior will be a dependent, if a full-time student, if under age 24. After turning 24, Junior may be a dependent if certain conditions are met (primarily living location and income limits)
  • 24 - Kiddie Tax. Kiddie tax ends, even if a dependent
  • 26 - Tricare Young AdultJunior ages out of TYA
  • 30 - Coverdell ESA. The account must be emptied 30 days after the beneficiary turns 30.
  • 50 - Catch-up Contributions. If you turn 50 during the year, you are allowed to make catch-up (increased) contributions to retirement plans such as TSP, 401(k)s and IRAs. The amount changes based on inflation
  • 55 - Early Distributions from Retirement Accounts. If you leave an employer after turning age 55, you can take distributions from your employer's sponsored retirement plan (401(k), 403(b), TSP) without penalty. Note this does not apply to IRAs and retirement plans from other employers
  • 59 1/2 - Retirement Plan Distributions. At age 59 1/2 you can take penalty-free distributions from retirement accounts.
  • 60 - Widow's Social Security. Widows can now claim Social Security benefits (amount increases if delayed)
  • 62 - Social Security. You can claim reduced Social Security benefits
  • 65 - Medicare. If you are not covered by a qualified employer's health insurance, you must start paying Medicare Part B premiums or be subject to penalty when you do start Medicare. Even if you are covered by an employer's insurance, you must pay Medicare Part B premiums, or you will lose Tricare until you do start paying the premiums
  • 67 - Social Security. 67 is the Full Retirement Age for those born in 1960 or later
  • 70 - Social Security. At age 70, you stop earning increased benefits for delaying your claim
  • 70 1/2 - QCDs. You can now make Qualified Charitable Contributions from your IRA
  • 73 - RBD (Required Beginning Date). If you were born in 1951 - 1959, you must start taking required minimum distributions from retirement accounts.
  • 75 - RBD. If you were born in 1960 or later, you must start taking required minimum distributions.
  • Around 80. Most retired Senior Military Officers and NCOs will be done "paying" for SBP

Military Finances are Different

Ask an advisor that doesn't work with Active and Retired Senior Military Officers and NCOs about when your SBP will end, and he or she will have to look up what SBP is. He or she probably won't know much about Tricare for Life either. And there are other things unique to military life. That's why we think you should work with a Financial Planner of Advisor that deals with your issues each and every day. If you'd like to find out how we work with Active and Retired Senior Military Officers and NCOs, click the button below to schedule a free initial consultation.

So, You Want to Be a Military Landlord

Retired Military Finances 101: The Unexpected Costs of the RV Lifestyle

Retired Military Finances 301: Medicaid Annuities

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.