facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Military Finances 401: Nanny Taxes (or Other Household Employees) Thumbnail

Military Finances 401: Nanny Taxes (or Other Household Employees)


Maybe while you're on Active Duty or perhaps more likely after you retire from the military, you may decide to hire some help around the house. This may be a nanny or someone to take care of Mom or Dad. If you decide to do this, you become an employer and there are tax responsibilities that come with that.

There have been more than a few high-profile politicians that have goofed this up. You don't want to join them.

Filing Your Taxes

The good news is, at the Federal level, you can in most cases file and pay your employer taxes when you file your Federal return. This is accomplished by completing a Schedule H to your Form 1040.

States may or may not allow you to file and pay annually. You'll need to check with your State Department of Revenue.

Which Taxes Do You Need to Pay and/or Withhold?

If someone is working for you for more than a month or two, you'll need to withhold Social Security and Medicare Taxes. Social Security (in the case of a household employer) is 6.2% of all wages. Medicare taxes are withheld at 1.45% of all wages. 

But that is not all you will need to pay when you file. When you file, you will pay a total of 15.3% (12.4% Social Security and 2.9% Medicare) of wages in combined employer and employee FICA taxes. You might want to plan for that.

As a Household employer, you do not need to withhold and/or pay Federal Income Taxes at all. 

That may not be the case for State Income Taxes. It really seems to depend on the state. And if your Nanny lives in a neighboring state, check and see if income taxes are due in the state where the work was done (your state) or the state where the Nanny resides. Here in the National Capital Region, it most cases it is the state of residence.

That's Not All

Income taxes and Social Security/Medicare taxes are not the only "tax" you need to pay. It is likely that you will also need to pay unemployment insurance to your State and the Federal Government. You will pay your Federal Unemployment Insurance with your individual tax return and report it on Schedule H. The states are not as patient and there is a pretty good chance you'll need to file and pay unemployment insurance quarterly (at least until you reach the annual cap). Even if you don't owe tax, you'll need to file the return.

Your military life is busy enough. If you'd like someone who works with people just like you every day, give us a call.

If you found this article useful, you might like the following blog posts:

Retired Military Finances 401: Using an Accountable Plan in an S Corporation to Effectively Deduct Employee Expenses

Retired Military Finances 401: Net Unrealized Appreciation

Military Finances 401: Claim of Right Doctrine

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.