facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Retired Military Finances 201: Don't Leave Money on the Table (and Don't Get Double Taxed Either) Thumbnail

Retired Military Finances 201: Don't Leave Money on the Table (and Don't Get Double Taxed Either)

Retirement Funding

You've decided to "Hang-up" your G-Suit or ABUs or whatever uniform you wear to work each day.  You're pretty confident you'll roll into the new job you've been looking forward to and it won't take too much time.  If your new job offers a 401(k) (or 403(b) or TSP) there are some things you need to think about AND you need to make sure you don't screw up some other things.  By the way, these concepts also apply if you change civilian jobs during the same year.

401(k) Basics

First of all, we'll start with some basics.  As of this writing (2022) the maximum amount of salary you can defer via a 401(k) or similar account is $20,500 ($27,000 if you are age 50 or older) per year.  For those of you who will be self-employed the deferral amount is the same, but you may be able to also shelter more income through a profit-sharing plan implemented through your 401(k) (but thats for another article).  Regardless of how many employers you have and how many plans you had access to, the maximum contribution for the year is either $20,500 or $27,000.

Could Contributing to TSP Limit Your Ability to Contribute to a 401(k)?

As you know, you can contribute to TSP while on Active Duty. But should you in the year of your retirement?  If your potential new employer offers a 401(k) with matching funds you may want to re-think contributing to TSP.  

Here is an example.  Suppose your employer matches 100% of your first 5% of salary contributed to your 401(k).  You need to take a look at your gross salary for the portion of the year that you will be working in your new job.  Take that amount and multiply it by 5%.  Whatever the answer is to that question, you'll want to make sure you have that much remaining "deferral space" when you retire.  In other words, if your civilian salary for your transition year is $150,000 make sure you don't contribute/defer more than $13,000 to TSP while you're on active duty ($20,500 - ($150,000 x 5%)).  If you do contribute more than $13,000, you'll miss out on matching funds and you'll leave money on the table.

Could You Get Double Taxed if You Contribute to TSP in the Year You Retire?

While making sure you don't leave money on the table is important, not getting double taxed is critical.  When you work for one company during a year, the company protects you from yourself.  Even if you put down a 100% deferral rate, your employer will stop deferring your income when you reach your annual limit of $20,500 or $27,000 (or at least he or she should).  This isn't the case when you work for two employers during the same year.  Your new employer won't know how much you contributed to your old employer's plan and won't stop your contributions. You could theoretically defer $41,000 or $54,000 (assuming two employers).  This is bad.  Real bad.

If you contribute too much you really need to get the money out before you file your taxes (and get an updated W-2).  Otherwise, you'll need to declare the excess deferral as income and pay taxes on it.  But here's the kicker...even if you declared the income and paid taxes on it when you over-contributed if you leave the money in your 401(k) when you take the money out of your 401(k) you'll pay taxes on it again.  It gets better though.  Your employer doesn't have to let you take out the money.  If the Summary Plan Document doesn't allow withdrawals for excess contributions, you're out of luck. Basically your employer is saying, "We're not going to fix your screw-ups".  Whether you can reverse the contributions or not varies from employer to employer.

It is worth it to keep your eye on these issues. 

Retired Military Finances are Different

There aren't that many Americans out there that start a second career while receiving a pension. That's a pretty unique scenario. There are a lot of things unique to the finances and taxes of a retired Senior Military Officer or NCO. That's why we think you should work with a financial planner or advisor that deals with military and veteran issues each and every day. If you'd like to find out how we help people in your shoes, use the button below to schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation.

If you found this article useful, you might like the following blog posts:

Retired Military Finances 101: A Guide to 401(k) In-Service Withdrawals for Employees

Retired Military Finances 101: 401(k) plans. A Lot Like TSP, But Not the Same

What to Do With Your Old 401(k) (or TSP) When You Switch Jobs

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.