facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Don't Lose Your TRICARE Coverage Thumbnail

Don't Lose Your TRICARE Coverage

Tricare Military Pay and Benefits

TRICARE is pretty good health insurance and it is a benefit we would all like to keep.  But...you could lose it if you don't pay attention.  Right now, most of you are covered by Active Duty/Retiree TRICARE.  But when you turn 65, you'll switch to TRICARE For Life(TFL) whether you want to or not.

The rub has to do with how TFL works.  If you are eligible for MEDICARE your Retiree TRICARE ends. To receive TFL you must sign up for MEDICARE (Parts A & B).  Here is where might get caught.

  1. You decide to work past age 65.  Your HR department tells you that you have qualifying insurance at work and there is no need to sign up for MEDICARE.  You can just sign up when you leave with no penalty.  Wrong.  If you want to keep TRICARE coverage, in the form of TFL, you must sign up for MEDICARE even if you have coverage at work.
  2. You mix up your MEDICARE coverage age and your Social Security Full Retirement Age (FRA). Most of the readers of this newsletter will reach their FRA at 66 or 67.  That has nothing to do with your MEDICARE qualification age.  If you mix these two up, you'll end up with no insurance coverage since you won't have MEDICARE and therefore you won't have TFL coverage either.  Your MEDICAREqualifying age is 65, regardless.  By the way, if you're not signed up Social Security you'll have to pay your MEDICARE insurance via a "check".
  3. You Qualify for Social Security Disability.  Generally speaking, if you receive Social Security Disability Benefits, then you will qualify for MEDICARE 25 months after starting the benefits.  When you (or your family member) becomes eligible for MEDICARE you must sign up and pay for MEDICARE Part A & B or you lose TRICARE coverage...regardless of your age.
  4. You move overseas.  MEDICARE generally doesn't cover you overseas (other than emergencies).  So, you decide to cancel it.  You just lost TRICARE coverage.  Even if you live overseas you must take (and pay for) Medicare Parts A & B.

    Just to be clear, you are automatically covered by Medicare Part A and you don't pay anything (other than what you paid during your entire working life) for it.  Medicare Part B, on the other hand, is not automatic and you must pay for it.  Your premium will be based on your Adjusted Gross Income from two years prior (i.e. 2014 for 2016 premiums).  Here are the premiums for 2016
  • AGI Less than $170,000 / $85,000 (Married/Single):  $121.80 per month
  • AGI $170,00  - $214,000 / $85,000 - $107,000 (Married/Single): $170.50 per month
  • AGI $214,001 - $320,000 / $107,001 - $160,000 (Married/Single):  $243.60 per month
  • AGI $320,001 - $428,000 / $160,001 - $214,000 (Married/Single): $316.70 per month
  • AGI Greater than $428,000 / $214,000 (Married/Single):  $389.80 per month

Employment income or large RMDs from Qualified Accounts/Traditional IRAs could rapidly put you into these higher brackets.  This may mean that you may want to take money out of these accounts between ages 59 1/2 to 65 or covert them to Roth accounts.

Helping you figure out you financial life including insurance is what C.L. Sheldon does.  If you need some help figuring out TFL, MEDICARE and how to plan to mitigate increased MEDICARE premiums give us a call.

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.