facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Military Tax Break: Sale of Primary Residence Thumbnail

Military Tax Break: Sale of Primary Residence

Taxes Military Pay and Benefits

The United States Government want you to own your home. There are a lot of tax advantages to home ownership, such as the ability to deduct mortgage interest (as long as the mortgage is for home acquisition or improvement). In my mind though, the biggest benefit is the ability to exclude, under certain circumstances, gains on the sale of your primary residence from your taxable income. That is s a pretty good deal and could literally save you tens of thousands of dollars in taxes. But as mentioned, you have to meet certain criteria.

The Hoops You Have to Jump Through to Take the Exclusion

A single taxpayer can exclude up to $250,000 in gains on the sale of a primary residence and a married couple filing jointly can exclude up to $500,000 in gains.

To get the $250,000 exclusion, you must meet two criteria

  1. You must have used and owned the home as a principal residence for at least two years during the five-year period prior to the sale
  2. You must not have excluded any gain on another home during the two-year period prior to the sale

The ownership and use test do not have to be concurrent.

To qualify for the $500,000 exclusion, both of the married couple must have used the house for 2 years. The use does not have to be concurrent and only one spouse needs to meet the ownership test. If both spouses do not meet the use test, then the exclusion is limited to $250,000.

Under certain circumstances a reduced exclusion may be allowed if the use or ownership tests are not met.

Special Tax Treatment for Military Members

Congress realized that military members move a lot and selling the house may not be advisable , so they wrote an exception to the rules above. The law allows the military member/family to suspend the five-year time test for up to 10 years, if the military member is on qualified official extended duty. Qualified official extended duty is either:

  • A new duty station at least 50 miles from the current main home. While the tax code doesn't use the words PCS, that is my interpretation
  • The military member is required by government orders to move into government quarters. An example would be selection for command and a requirement to move on base (or post).

Under these rules, your 5-year test could become a 15-year test. Here is an example:

  • You own and live in the house for 2 years.
  • You move out of the house pursuant to PCS orders. The clock stops.
  • 10 years pass, the suspension ends. You now have owned the house for 12 years.
  • 3 years pass and you sell the house. You've owned the house for 15 years, but for purposes of the use test you have lived in it for 2 of the last 5 years.

The Tax Code is silent on what happens when the military member retires. The conservative approach would be to assume that the clock starts again when you retire and you're no longer constrained by your military service. But, again the Code is silent on this issue.

Military Taxes are Different

I can count 40 different places in the Tax Code where active duty military members and/or veterans are treated differently by the tax code than civilians. Kind of makes you think you should work with a financial and tax advisor that knows the differences.

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC website or incorporated herein, and C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience, educational, and informational purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.